Call to Pray for Nigeria
THE WATCHMAN MINISTRIES
Plot 134, Block 10, Amuwo Odofin G.R.A., By FESTAC/Amuwo Odofin Link Bridge, Lagos
“O Jerusalem, I have posted watchmen on your walls; they will pray day and night, continually. Take no rest, all you who pray to the Lord. Give the Lord no rest until he completes his work, until he makes Jerusalem the pride of the earth.” Isaiah 62:6-7 NLT
As you are aware, Nigeria is presently passing through what may well be one of her most difficult times in history. The nation is tottering on its fault lines as some parts no longer feel secure; the church is facing an existential threat from Islamists with clear agenda to overrun the entire nation; there is a conspiracy of silence by the international media concerning the atrocities taking place in Nigeria (as they did in Rwanda before the genocide); yet, despite the ominous signs, our leaders are carrying on as if all is well.
In the song of Deborah, we find a sad depiction of where we are as a nation: “In the time of Shamgar son of Anath, and in the time of Jael, public roads were abandoned, travelers went by backroads. Warriors became fat and sloppy, no fight left in them. Then you, Deborah, rose up; you got up, a mother in Israel.” (Judges 5:6-7 MSG). This scripture aptly describes what is happening in our nation. The highways have become very unsafe because of armed robbery and kidnapping; Nigerians are leaving the country in their droves; and those who ought to stand up for the truth have been sedated by the crumbs they get from the system. The British government recently issued travel warning to her citizens about Nigeria, declaring that 21 states are unsafe!
There has never been a time when Nigerians were eager to take their own lives like now. For every suicide, rape or ritual murder that is reported, there are probably several others that are not. The government seems to be powerless and have been accused of being impervious to the sufferings of the people. The security agencies appear to be so desensitized that you wonder if they still have value for human lives.
It is becoming obvious that the twin evils of Boko Haram insurgency and the rampage of the Fulani herdsmen are not ordinary. No less a person than a former president of this nation, Chief Olusegun Obasanjo, has come out publicly to say that there is a “Fulanisation and Islamisation agenda.” Many people believe that the ‘RUGA Settlement’ is part of this agenda. Others believe that there is also an ‘economic jihad’ that is being waged against non-Fulani tribes, especially Christians. One only needs to look at the configuration of political and leadership positions in the present government to confirm this assertion. This is probably the most ethnocentric administration that we have ever seen in this country.
Our nation is under the pressure of destiny, and what we do now as prayer leaders and the church will determine whether we stay together as one country and fulfil God’s purpose or go the way of nations that failed. The latter is fraught with unimaginable consequences.
The church seems helpless before a well-armed enemy aided and abetted by those who have the position and power to do so. Judah once faced a similar situation during which King Jehoshaphat prayed, “See how they are repaying us by coming to drive us out of the possession you gave us as an inheritance. O our God, will you not judge them? For we have no power to face this vast army that is attacking us. We do not know what to do, but our eyes are upon you.” (2 Chr 20:11-12 NIV). We know how God intervened and defeated the enemies of Judah. Recall that we also experienced similar deliverances in the 1990s.
No doubt, some Intercessors have become weary because of failed expectations. Many have lost hope concerning Nigeria. But we cannot watch Nigeria continue this way. What is primarily in contention is Nigeria’s destiny; what is at stake is God’s prophetic agenda for our nation. We won’t fold our hands and allow this to continue, it is time to rise up like Deborah and pushback against the onslaught of the enemy against the church.
As we are admonished in Isaiah 62:66-67, “. Take no rest, all you who pray to the Lord. Give the Lord no rest until he completes his work, until he makes Jerusalem the pride of the earth.” We shall not rest until God has accomplished His work in Nigeria.
1. CRIME, TERRORISM AND INSECURITY
- Pray for sincerity in the fight against crime, terrorism and insecurity in Nigeria.
- Pray that God would continue to strengthen our Military and that they will have the requisite hardware to boldly confront and totally win the war against Boko Haram.
- Pray for God arise against the rampaging Fulani herdsmen and those bent on destabilizing the peace in our nation. May the Lord scatter those who delight in shedding innocent blood.
- Let’s pray concerning the resurgence of Boko Haram especially around Borno, Zamfara, Adamawa and Kaduna states. It is rumoured that many Nigerian villages are under the control of Boko Haram.
GO TO TOP
2. PRAYER FOR THE NEW GOVERNMENT OF NIGERIA
- Thank God for the new government that was sworn in on the 29th of May. Pray for God’s wisdom, strength and grace on the leadership as they grapple with the problems of Nigeria.
- Pray that God would surround our president with godly counsel and wisdom.
- Pray for wisdom for the President to take the right decisions that will be just, fair and equitable to move Nigeria in the right direction.
- Pray for godly influence over the president. We find in the Scriptures that as long a king had the right influence over him, he ruled well and the nation prospered but when there is none, the king would go astray (2 Chron. 26:5; 24:15-18).
- Pray that the Lord would restrain this government from mortgaging the destiny of future generations through reckless borrowing.
- Let’s declare that the RUGA policy is dead and shall not be resurrected! Let’s nullify the 30 ultimatum issued by a so-called Arewa Group. Let’s pronounce judgment on Miyetti Allah and other groups that are fermenting trouble in Nigeria.
- Let’s pray that God would release His waring angels against Boko Haram and violent herdsmen.
- Let’s pray against the silent genocide that’s taking place in some Christian communities in the North, especially Adamawa and Kaduna states. Let’s pray that God would rouse the government into action.
- Let’s ask God to hasten His will concerning governance in Nigeria. Let’s pray that righteous judgment will be pronounced concerning the last elections.
- The wife of Mr. President had revealed that there are people that are holding the president hostage, who govern Nigeria by proxy. Let’s pray that God will expose them and strip them of their influence.
GO TO TOP
3. NIGERIAN ECONOMY
- Pray that God will give the Federal Government the wisdom to tackle the challenges confronting our economy.
- Pray that the Lord would restrain this government from mortgaging the destiny of future generations through reckless borrowing. Nigeria’s public debt climbs to N24.4 trillion. If the current trend continues, Nigeria will have to spend N2.5 trillion on debt serving by the end of 2019. Pray that God will give wisdom to our leader to know how to manage out debt profile.
- Pray that the government will be transparent and open concerning the debt profile of our nation.
- Pray that this government will tackle economic waste and come up with policies that will plug the loopholes in the economy; pray against economic saboteurs especially in the oil and mining industries.
- There have been a series of strikes and threat for more strikes by various labour unions. Pray that the government will pay attention to labour issues such as the new minimum wage (N30,000), unemployment, retrenchment; and exploitation of the Nigerian workers.
GO TO TOP
- Pray that the foundation of corruption in our nation would be exposed and destroyed.
- Pray that God would strengthen the Federal Government to effectively fight corruption in all sectors of our economy.
- Pray that the wind of the Lord would continue to blow and expose corrupt practices in Nigeria. Declare that none will be covered, including the ‘untouchables’ in the ruling party. Those who have swallowed Nigeria’s riches must vomit them, no matter who they are or how highly placed.
- Pray that Government will work to strengthen institutions and systems that will not just tackle corruption in the short term but also minimize corruption in the long term.
- Pray that the war against corruption will be total and not be turned into a tool to witch-hunt political opponents. Pray that the agencies and institutions established to fight corruption will be strengthened. Pray that men and women of integrity would head EFCC; ICPC; SON; NAFDAC; SFU; etc.
GO TO TOP
- Pray for improved and qualitative education for our children.
- Pray that this government will not pay lip service to the educational sector but be concerned about the quality of graduates from our institutions.
- It is estimated that Nigerians spend an aggregate of close to a billion dollars annually to pay school fees for their children studying outside the country. This is a huge reproach that must be rolled away from our country. Pray that the government will focus on improving the learning environment and quality of teaching in our schools.
- Pray for the review of our educational system. Schools are not equipping students to function in a modern society.
- Pray that the government would invest in good educational infrastructure, training of teachers and school administrators.
GO TO TOP
6. YOUTHS AND CHILDREN
- Pray for children to be drawn into intimacy with the Lord at an early age (even from infancy).
- Let’s pray against ‘the prince of the power of the air,’ the forces that seek to pervert God’s purpose for their lives.
- Let’s ask that God by His Spirit would insulate our youths from the perversion and evil influences in our society.
- Let’s pray that our children will understand God’s purpose for their lives and have a willing heart to respond to His call.
- Let’s pray for the single ladies and men, that God will help them to be patient while waiting and to be divinely guided to their right spouses.
- Let us continue to pray for the protection and the release of LEAH SHARIBU who is being held by Boko Haram.
GO TO TOP
7. THE CHURCH IN NIGERIA
- Ask God to forgive the church for failing to pray for those who are in authority.
- Let’s plead with God that for His name’s sake and glory He would not allow His Church to suffer reproach (Ps 115:1-2).
- Let’s pray that the leadership of the Nigerian church (CAN, PFN) will have a revelation of the prophetic purpose and missionary calling of the Church in Nigeria.
- Let’s specifically, pray that God would protect and empower them to continue to be a bold prophetic voice in our nation. May God give them grace and spiritual authority to speak truth to power.
GO TO TOP
8.PRAYER FOR REVIVAL
- Let’s pray that the Lord would ignite the burden for revival and that church leaders will understand revival as the only way out for Nigeria.
- Many notable prophetic voices, both locally and globally, have spoken about a coming revival in Nigeria. Let’s ask the Lord to bring it on.
- Pray that the church would earnestly seek the Lord for a great outpouring of the Holy Spirit, that His presence and glory will be manifested. (Joel 2:28, Acts 1:8).
- Pray that the Lord would baptize His church in Nigeria and worldwide with a fire of revival of righteousness and of power, (Joel 2: 28 – 32).
- We need to pray for a Holy Spirit revival to break out in our nation. May the holy fire of God sweep across our nation, setting us ablaze for the Glory of God!
GO TO TOP
9. MISSIONS AND PERSECUTED CHURCH
- Thank God for the Church, His purpose and what God is doing in His Church in Nigeria and globally.
- Pray for the comfort of the Holy Spirit upon the persecuted Church. Pray that God will strengthen families that have lost their loved ones and property to persecution.
- Pray for God’s grace; that in the midst of these persecutions they won’t lose faith and hope in the Lord.
- Pray for Christians who suffer persecution to love their persecutors still.
- Pray for God for provision like homes, Bibles, food and other needs.
- Pray that in the midst of these persecutions the Gospel will spread and many more will come to know Jesus as Lord and Saviour.
- Pray for the Holy Spirit to convict the enemies of the Church and draw them to Himself.
GO TO TOP
10. PROCLAIMING GOD’S PURPOSE OVER NIGERIA
- We declare that Nigeria is the Lord’s and the fullness thereof.
- We proclaim God’s plans to reverse wicked and evil political actions that have set back our nation from her prophetic destiny.
- We declare that the light of God will shine on Nigeria and Africa and indeed the entire black race.
- We proclaim that Nigeria will be aligned with God’s purpose for her. We command the land of Nigeria to respond and align itself with the will and programme of God.
- We proclaim that a great revival will break out in all the sectors of our nation.
- We declare that our leaders will receive divine wisdom from God to develop the plan to rebuild that which has been broken down in our nation.
- We reverse every evil word spoken against our nation.
- We declare that we shall be kept in unity as one nation, not divided.
- We declare that our large population shall be a blessing and not a curse.
- We declare that the resources of this nation would be a blessing and not a curse.
- We proclaim that Nigeria’s potential will be realized.
- We declare that there will be no civil war, rather Nigerians will be in peace and harmony.
- We prophesy that violence shall cease from our land.
- We prophesy turnaround to our economy.
- We speak to Nigeria: Rise up and walk!.
GO TO TOP
Pastor Austen Ukachi
The Watchman Ministries